Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:37:35 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Yusuf Goolamabbas <yusufg@huge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, reiser@ricochet.net, sct@redhat.com
Subject:   Re: Has anybody used Postmark for file system benchmark

On Mon, Mar 15, 1999 at 08:27:04AM -0000, Yusuf Goolamabbas wrote:
> Postmark is available at
>
> http://www.netapp.com/technology/level3/3022.html
>
> I am currently trying it out on various FreeBSD 3.1-STABLE boxes (It
> compiled cleanly). Thought I would check with others if they had any
> experience with this. According to the paper , UFS on Solaris 2.5
> sucks so I am seeing what FreeBSD (and possibly softupdates can do)
>
> Hope to provide some results soon. I shall be also trying on Linux
> boxes (On Linux, I am getting the following error)

Remember that the default tuning on the FreeBSD boxes and the Linux
boxes are different; this has to be reflected if you're going to
attempt to do a fair benchmark.  The different modes are

			Linux		FreeBSD
Fully synchronous	sync		sync
"Synchronous" metadata,
	async data	N/A		(default mode)
Fully async (unordered
   metadata writes)[1]  default		async
Tracking dependencies	N/A		"soft updates"

[1] This mode is highly disfunctional if your data is critical.  The
normal file system invariants (e.g, that data you write end up in a
file you own) are not honoured across unscheduled reboots.  It is very
useful for news spools etc, of course.

Comparing the Linux default to the FreeBSD default is pretty
uninteresting; the tradeoffs are totally different.  IMO, the most
interesting compares are Linux sync against FreeBSD
anything-but-async, and Linux async vs FreeBSD async.

When you're giving out results, please also include information about
the exact hardware platform - a hardware platform that caches will
tend to skew the results.

Eivind.