Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 15:39:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Fresh postgres95 port

* Might I ask why you didn't submit a PR for the problem ?  The FreeBSD
* project has an excellent resolution system for dealing with problems like
* this, yet you didn't seem to use it.

Because

	a: I try to fix things myself
	b: I'm not paying for support
	c: based on previous PRs that I've submitted, I have no
	   reason to expect a PR to be dealth with in under six
	   months.
	d: I wanted it working now.
	e: It has been broken for a long time.
	f: It appeared to be broken in part because people were doing
	   development on -current systems.  I run -stable and I'm not
	   going to apologize for running -stable either!
	g: I got frustrated.
	h: I thought fixing it would be appreciated.  I'll be sure to
	   call for help rather than fix things next time I have a problem.
	   When it doesn't get solved immediately, I'll complain that the
	   free support isn't good enough.
	i: There were more than two things wrong with the port:
		- old version of postgres
		- makefile dependencies on -current
		- did not build tcl/tk portion (or didn't reference
		  it in the makefile anyway)
		- when it broke, a it was very hard to fix because
		  it used environment variables to set the top of
		  the tree and (of course) they weren't set.
		- there may have been other problems, but I don't
		  know for sure because I gave up when hit by the
		  previous problem.

* I originally helped the port maintainer with the postgres95 port, and it
* worked perfectly on several systems, including -stable and -current.  I
* can only assume that you didn't bring your concerns to the port
* maintainer.

How about 2.1.5R or 2.1R?

* I will take a look at your port, but I won't be committing it into the
* repository over the old one.  I suggest that you work with the current
* maintainer (matt@bdd.net) instead of just taking a 'I can do it better
* attitude' to fixing problems.  If everyone did that, we'd have another
* OpenBSD on our hands.  8-)

He seems to be looking at my port.  Hopefully, he'll create one that
is even better than mine, but at the moment, mine works and his does
not.

I just want it fixed.  As long as I was fixing, it I figured I would share
my work.

-Dave