Date:      Sun, 5 May 2002 00:04:46 -0400
From:      Dylan Carlson <absinthe@pobox.com>
To:        "Tony Saign" <tony@saign.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Perl scripts that monitor network connection?

On Saturday 04 May 2002 12:28am, Tony Saign wrote:
> Recently (last night) for 3 hours my connection was experiencing some
> SERIOUS problems!
> (i.e. destination net unreachable, up to 47% packet from my router to
> theirs etc.)
>
> This made me realize I need to monitor this connection VERY closely.
> Until the issues are resolved.
>
> Can anyone recommend any network connection monitoring scripts that
> could be scheduled as cron jobs, and possibly emails the results to me?
> Or a good open-source package?

IMHO -- cricket is the best thing going, but it's really geared towards a
larger number of nodes.  Using something like NetSaint or MRTG or BB is
probably better for smaller environments... although neither of those
packages have really given me the config flexibility and graphing power of
RRDTool.

RRDTool is a wonder unto itself.

--
Dylan Carlson [absinthe@pobox.com]