Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 13:25:10 -0500
From:      "Mark A-J. Raught" <mraught@acm.org>
To:        FreeBSD Mobile <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0 and Sony Ericsson GC83

(forgot to cc the group when I sent this... maybe it'll help others too)

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 17:32 -0600, Jeff Cross wrote:
> I have recently started using FreeBSD (5.4 briefly then on to 6.0) and
> love it!  For some reason I enjoy messing around with FreeBSD a lot more
> than I did Linux.  My FreeBSD install is currently on a Gateway 7326GZ
> (Intel) Laptop.
>
> So far, everything is working as it should except I get no volume when
> playing audio files and I really don't know where to start with my
<snip>

This may help with your audio... I had the same problem and it drove me
nuts for several days. I have a gateway 7325GZ and had to change ac97.c
and ac97.h. I don't have my fbsd drive in now (in debian right now) but
I googled and belive it was
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-May/006684.html
that got it working for me.
In linux (debian atleast) I have a script on starting X that mutes the
external amp to get sound working (amixer -c 0 sset 'External
Amplifier',0 mute)

maybe one of those will help get you pointed in the right direction.

 Just remember if you diff the ac97.h and ac97.c, when you cvsup it will
replace those files (which I leave alone so I can test newer versions
before rediffing)

-mark