Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 03:05:46 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Dmitry Valdov <dv@dv.ru>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   jail..

Hello!

It is possible to take root on entire machine if someone has an account on
it an root under jail.
for example, we're running jail with chroot to /usr/jail. Someone have root
in chroot'ed environment.
So, he can create setuid shell in /usr/jail.
But if he have normail account on machine, he can run it from /usr/jail and
take root on entire machine.
chmod /usr/jail doesn't help because chrooted / cannot be read by anyone :(

I think that the right solution is to make directory for chroot under 700's
directory. Should it be documented in jail man page?

Dmitry.