Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 1996 13:36:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      sos@FreeBSD.ORG
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: > 80x24 ?

> In some mail from sos@FreeBSD.ORG, sie said:

> > > is anyone looking at making FreeBSD boot into a text resolution greater
> > > than 80x24 ?  I sorta miss 132x60 in Linux...
> >
> > No, unless somebody comes up with a way of programming each and
> > every videocard around the globe...
>
> In the back of my TSeng booklet, it tells you how to set the card for
> anything beyond 80x24 in assembly:
>
> * place 0 in register AH to indicate "select mode" function
> * place the mode # in register AL
> * execute an INT 10h instruction
>
> and down the bottom it mentions that this is the standard BIOS interface
> for video mode select.
>
> Linux has some table of the things, and before it did this, it would
> somehow "probe" the card and give a (not complete) list of available
> modes.
>
> Hmm, now, what's the problem ?

Level of understanding the problem at hand ...

Go read a bunch of "booklets" for different video cards, then read a
couble of books on PC video hw, and then come back with a better
understanding of the problem(s).
Then tell me again how easy it will be to make this work on ALL
video hw....

PS: If you don't have any PC hw books handy, look at the XFree86
    sources for the video hw they support.

Soren Schmidt             (sos@FreeBSD.org)             FreeBSD Core Team
               So much code to hack -- so little time.