Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 14:16:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        reg@shale.csir.co.za (Jeremy Lea), dcs@newsguy.com (Daniel C. Sobral), scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker), handy@lambic.physics.montana.edu (Brian Handy), des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav), obrien@NUXI.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATTENTION PLEASE:  g77 in base system.

Steve wrote:

> > Doesn't apply for getting something *removed* from the tree.
> > I've had *patches* and *ports* for f2c and f77 sitting around
> > for at least 2 months.  Search the mailing list.

Nate's comment:

> I offered to do the commit work, but Jordan posted that removing Fortran
> from the base system wasn't something he considered acceptable, and I
> didn't feel like fighting him.

Yes, I know you offered, and I did not mean to imply any negative critism.
My comments were meant to convey that it takes more than having
patches.  Once something gets into the base tree, it suddenly gains
a large amount of inertia to stay.

If I recall, Jordan's position was to maintain the status quo
until some decision on importing egcs was made.

--
Steve