Date:      Thu, 4 Dec 1997 10:51:32 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Ruslan Shevchenko <Ruslan@Shevchenko.Kiev.ua>
Cc:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What can we do about Java?

FWIW - Sun released JDK 1.1.5 today.  Downloading it as I type. :)

>   Some random comments:
>      1. Exists 2 ways for Java on FreeBSD project.
>           1. Improve the port of the Sun JDK.

Or at least port a newer version and hope for the best.

>               + :  1. Exists full source for other systems.
>                      2. It's "canonical" implementation.

Yep, that's my take on the matter.  Kaffe is probably a better 'long
term' solution, but I need Java *today*.

>                -:   1. Source require licension.

It's not an obnoxious license, really.

>                      2. AWT stuff use Motiff.
>                         (current 1.1.2 JDK port work fine with non-graphics
> stuff, but
>                          AWT realization, in practice, unusable)

The current port is 1.1, unless you're aware of something I'm not.  And,
I think the AWT buginess has more to do with lessTif than Motif.

>                          May be anybody can create port with static Motiff
> libraries ?

Maybe, but in my *very* short attempt to compile using Keith's patches I
couldn't get it to work with any *tif, so I gave up trying with Motif.

>                     3. Strange binary license policy:
>                            why we can  not have Sun Java in ports ?

One of the bad parts of their license that paranoid people avoid.

Nate