Date:      Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:39:53 -0600
From:      Nick Pavlica <linicks@gmail.com>
To:        Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Subject:   Re: New user questions :)

On Apr 7, 2005 2:58 AM, Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net> wrote:

> >> Graham Bentley <gbentley@uk2.net> wrote:
> >> I also wondered if there is a project based on FreeBSD that
>
> >> Not that I know of, but it sure would be a nice project, huh?
> >
> > definitely a nice one.
> >
> > hmm...what would be the best way to go about it?
> >  - add an option to sysinstall "SME" (well, whatever that would be named
> > of course)
> >  - add a port that 'depends' / installs all the other ports needed
> >     - with questions and answer to start setting up your system...or
> > some kind of UI for it (ugh)
> >  - same as with ports, but prec-compiled packages.
> >
> > hmm...must download SME to test and see how they went about it.
>
> Hi Guys, Iw as wondering how I would even go about starting a project
> like this using FreeBSD as I know even less than I do about Linux (not
> much) but I really rate SME and would love to see a FreeBSD version as
> FreeBSD seems even more suited to this type of thing (ie a stable distro
> to base a good project on:)
>
> Did you get round to checking out SME ?

Graham,
  After taking a quick look at SME I can see it's appeal.  I'm not
sure if there is an equivalent for FreeBSD, but it would be a nice
addition.  Webmin does allot of this functionality as well if you
haven't taken a look at that.  To start a project like SME all you
need to do is start hacking, and provide a web based community for it
so that others are aware of it and possibly start helping out.
Because they are both *nix based operating systems you may be able to
start by porting the web manager from SME to FreeBSD 5.4 +.

--Nick