Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 15:44:30 +0200
From:      Gunter Loos <Gul@ngonet.be>
To:        Brill Pappin <brillp@nation.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: user-ppp problem

At 16:21 26/07/96 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm using 2.1.5-RELEASE and it sets ppp0/1 at the install now as opposed to
>2.0.5-RELEASE that set up cuaa0/1.
                               ^^^^
Did it really (where the devices in the kernel named cuaa0..)?
Seems strange to me. I remember having worked with 2.0.5, and have never
seen that. Oh well.

>Is ppp0/1 the kernel PPP, and tun part of the User-PPP??
>-Brill

Afaik,
ppp0 is the device compiled into the kernel for use with kernel ppp. Tunnel
devices
are used with the userland ppp. I'm not sure why this is so. Perhaps the
rfc's shed
some light on it.

When using pppd - the daemon ppp/kernel ppp - I just compiled the pppx
devices in
my kernel. I didn't even set them up right. They obviously get configured
properly
by pppd, using the options.cuaax parameters.

Oh, and please do send all the emails on the subject. It's going to be a
hell of a job,
but I'm prepared to transform them in something comprehensive...

Gul