Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 07:52:51 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 01:57:24PM +0200, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> D2.
> introduce TARGET_ARCH and TARGET_OBJ to specify for which architecture
> and object format we are building (resp.). MACHINE_ARCH and MACHINE_OBJ
> will be set to reflect the current (ie running) environment. This should
> help fix P3.

'make' knows about MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH. 'sysctl' can tell us what
the kernel thinks it is. We should stick to using these.

> D4.
> allow concurrent cross-builds by defining a TRGTROOT under OBJROOT using
> TARGET_ARCH and TARGET_OBJ. If, for example, OBJROOT=/usr/obj,
> TARGET_ARCH=i386 and TARGET_OBJ=elf, then TGTROOT can be defined as
> cross-build for the Alpha can be performed at the same time
> (TRGTROOT=/usr/obj/alpha/elf). This may help in fixing P9 and may be
> advanteous in making snapshots and releases on build-machines.

To cross-build, I don't need to set so many things. On i386, I just:

export MACHINE=alpha
export MACHINE_ARCH=alpha
make world

There are a few commits I will make RSN to allow others to do this too.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
               john.birrell@opendirectory.com.au