Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 06:59:34 -0700
From:      "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Backups - Many FreeBSD Machines

Hello,

I have around 40 production servers running FreeBSD. Each machine uses
around 3-4 Gigabytes of space that needs to be backed up (on 3 partitions).
I need some suggestions as to what to do, here are some of my options:

1. Establish a large RAID array which grabs the files from each machine and
periodically dumps to tape.
2. Establish smaller RAID arrays which handle logical groupings of machines
and periodically dumps to tape.
3. Establish some sort of networked tape device which can directly backup
all the machines.

It seems number one would take too long so the backups might extend for
more then 24 hours. Number 2 could be a good idea but uses more tapes and
more machines. Number 3 might have the same drawback(s) as number 1.

Please offer your thoughts/suggestions/experiences.

Thanx,
Randy Katz