Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 03:52:24 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@superior.mooseriver.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, feedback@xfree86.org, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Changes to X11 licensing with X11R6.4

On Tue, Apr 07, 1998 at 03:24:11AM -0700, Amancio Hasty wrote:
> Also, does it mean that Motif is going to be cheaper 8)

Two different products. I don't think a change in X11R6.4 royalties is
going to have much effect on cost of Motif.

> If it means that companies  such as WC have to shelved thousands of dollars
> for a license then forget it -- I think we will probably stay behind .

I do not agree. If you read the FAQ on TOG's web page
(http://www.camb.opengroup.org/tech/desktop/x/xlicensefaq.htm) the cost to
for-profit resellers is $7,500 per year for up to 50,000 units per year for
non-members. Basic math says this is $0.15 per unit. For members the price
drops to $0.10 per unit. I sincerely hope the Walnut Creeks profit margin is
not not so slim as to be hurt by an increase of $0.15 per unit shipped. An
increase in price to cover this cost will bearly be noticed, even by cheap
bastards like myself.

We can either appeal to TOG for a non-profit status or we can just pony up
the lousy 15 cents per unit. Com'on, you can knock over a kid in the street
for 15 cents.

Josef "Just my $0.15" Grosch

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 2.2.5
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses