Date:      Sat, 04 Aug 2001 21:25:28 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        Brad Laue <brad@brad-x.com>, Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Pascal Pederiva <freebsd@paped.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PATCH: syscons.c sysctl for PC-Reboot Keys

In message <200108050402.NAA22213@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>,
Kazutaka YOK
OTA writes:
> AFAIR, yes.
>
> I don't see much need to add a sysctl for this, because I cannot
> imagine in what situation you want to turn on and off the reboot key
> on the fly. The system administrator wants to disable the reboot key
> entirely, or leave it enabled.
>
> But, if many people say they need it, perhaps we should add it...

As we already have a way to do this, why bloat the kernel.  I noticed
on one FreeBSD mailing list a topic of putting the GENERIC kernel on a
diet as it no longer fits on a 1.44 MB floppy.  Just as the old adage
that says that "if you watch the pennies the dollars will watch
themselves," we can also say "if you watch the bytes, the kilobytes
will watch themselves."

I think what people want here is a simple way to disable CTRL-ALT-DEL
without having to build a keyboard map, not necessarily a new sysctl.
How about a compromise, a script that creates and loads a keyboard map
that disables boot?  Here's a crude example:

#!/bin/sh -
case $# in
0)	. /etc/defaults/rc.conf
	. /etc/rc.conf;
1)	keymap=$1;;
*)	echo only one argument is supported; exit 1;;
esac
test -r /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/$keymap || { echo keyboard map not
found; exit 1; }
sed 's/boot/nop/' /usr/share/syscons/keymaps/$keymap >
/var/run/keymap.tmp
kbdcontrol -l /var/run/keymap.tmp
rm /var/run/keymap.tmp

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC