Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 20:37:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Manas Bhatt <bhatt_manas@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   how a context switch happens FreeBSD

hi all,
   I am still hazy about the operation of a context
switch in FreeBSD or as a matter of fact any unices
like OS(even after reading relevant books). My
questions are the following :--
1. In all timesharing OS, there is a fixed time slice
allocated to each process. When the time expires and
the process hasn't finished execution , a context
switch happens. Now while the process is executing it
receives a interrupt, "the time remains the same as it
was before the interrupt happened and after the
handling of interrupt OR the time reduces ie. it
includes the time required for handling the
interrupt".

2. System calls are executed in kernel mode , which
AFAIK can't be context switched because the kernel
data structures would then be in an inconsistent
state. But i have seen while writing network programs
that read,write and accept system calls being context
switched. How is the consistency of kernel data
structures maintained??

anyhow actual code digging would be of great help.
only directions are required.
thanks
manas