Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 04:34:51 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD A Solution For Business

Volunteers needed!!!

Note Please post all responses to advocacy!!!!!

I am proposing an advocacy project to produce a document that will have several
uses.

First, marketing FreeBSD.  The finished product will be aimed at product
managers in the commercial software development world with the intent of
raising the visability of FreeBSD and presenting reasons to look at FreeBSD as
a solid development platform.

Second, publication.  This document could serve as a kick start bases for
magazine articles aimed at business professionals that make decisions as to
what gets included as a strategic platform in their IS shops.

I would suggest that we take the high road in doing this, and not make it a BSD
vs Linux gun fight.  We should do it with the idea in mind that any OS other
than FreeBSD is a competitor, but sell FreeBSD only on its' own merits.  In
other words we are a class act.

There are any number of ways that we can approach this project.  Jordan has
made the suggestion that each volunteer produce a document of their own and
then we can pick the 4 or 5 best and blend them into the final product.  I
think this is a good suggestion and a workable idea.  However, I would like to
propose a counter idea to this, that would more readily leverage the collective
knowledge base and reduce the work load of each volunteer in producing a final
document.  My thinking in this is that some people can write, others write
extremely well others have deep technical knowledge of FreeBSD.  If we could
combine all individual areas of expertise into one common working document we
maybe able to reach our goals faster and easier.  This could be facilitated
using a cut and paste method by a document maintainer - me, I have the Excedren
bottle near by ;-)

To that end I have below a rough outline of document content to start off this
effort, subject to group revision and approval.

				FreeBSD

			A Solution For Business

Executive Summary

a) Why develop or port to an open source operating system

b) Advantages of using an open source OS from a competitive perspective

c) What makes FreeBSD the open source operating system of choice

	i) The FreeBSD pedigree

	ii) The importance of the FreeBSD development and release model

	iii) Technical qualities of FreeBSD (over all product quality issues)

		Stability

		Speed

		Scalability - solid, steady  performance under heavy loads

	iv) Why FreeBSD is am excellent development platform

d) The impact of open sources licensing on commercial development

	i) Advantages of the Berkeley License

e) Future direction of the FreeBSD project

f) Where is FreeBSD being used

Where do I stand on all of this?  No question I very much need help on the
technical side of the issues, my UNIX experience is short and technical skills
weak.  I can do word smithing and contribute ideas, and am willing to commit
the time and effort to coordinate the project.  I am sure there will be other
areas where I can contribute as this get further defined and work progresses.

Let me know what you think of this idea and of any revisions that you think
necessary.  Thanks in advance.

Frank Pawlak