Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:48:06 +0200 (EET)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "James E. Pace" <jepace@pobox.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rejected mail hosts?

James E. Pace wrote:

> What causes sendmail on FreeBSD to reject mail hosts?

The mail server configuration.

> My daily security run spewed this out today, and I want that mail.
>
> Checking for rejected mail hosts:
>    3 garlic.com
>    1 satellitehealth.com
>    1 pobox.com
>    1 kidneycare.com
>    1 earthlink.net
>    1 aol.com

The daily security logs are not very verbose, but they point to the
problem, so you can look at the cause later on. You could grep your logs
for the rejected hosts, and see why they were rejected.  I'd try something
like:

	# grep 'garlic\.com' /var/log/messages

or wherever you've set up your mail server software to log, and see why the
messages from this particular address block were blocked.

Giorgos Keramidas                       FreeBSD Documentation Project
keramida@{freebsd.org,ceid.upatras.gr}  http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/