Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 1996 08:52:24 BST
From:      Michael Ryan <mike@NetworX.ie>
To:        Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Shared Memory Questions

Tom,

I dunno if the following is any use to you, but I wrote an
application that uses shared memory (it has small shm
requirements) and here's what I set my kernconfig file to.
I also had to make a slight mod to ipcs.c, to stop it from
aborting on seg violations.  It was a small mod -- the code
was referencing an incorrect variable (as a result of the
programmer cutting and pasting?).  I don't have the source
code to hand.  If you like, I'll dig it out and post the
changes to you.

#
# These three options provide support for System V Interface
# Definition-style interprocess communication, in the form of shared
# memory, semaphores, and message queues, respectively.
#
#options		SYSVSHM
#options		SYSVSEM
#options		SYSVMSG
#
# mjmr 951126 Tune sems and shms.
#
#options         "SHMMAXPGS=128"        # 512KB shm
#options         "SHMMAX=16384"
#options         "SHMMIN=1"
#options         "SHMMNI=256"
#options         "SHMSEG=128"
#options         "SHMALL=300"
#options         "SEMMNI=256"
#options         "SEMMAP=30"
#options         "SEMMNS=500"
#options         "SEMMNU=30"
# MR951127 The option SEMMSL restricts the number of semaphores that can
# be *deleted*, but not the number that can be created.  From various
# descriptions, it would appear it should do neither.  For a good margin,
# I've given it the same value as SEMMNI.
#options         "SEMMSL=256"
#options         "SEMOPM=10"
#options         "SEMUME=10"
#options         "SEMVMX=32768"        # hardwired in /usr/src/sys/sys/sem.h
#options         "SEMAEM=16384"        #  so we won't redefine here

Mike
<mike@NetworX.ie>
---