Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 1997 15:21:12 -0400
From:      Dave Alderman <dave@persprog.com>
To:        Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentuim or Pentuim Pro ?

Stephen Roome wrote:

> I'm probably only going to stick 64MB (SDRAM) in each of these machines
> as they really don't *need* much more (it'd be nice but expensive), and
> most boards I've seen (or any I'd consider) have >64MB of cacheable
> memory anyway.

The VX and the TX chipsets only support caching of 64 Meg which might
explain why you have encountered this limitation.  The HX chipset will
cache much more (although I can't remember how much more - 512Meg ?) and
also supports multiple processors.  Of course, the motherboard has to
support caching greater than 64Meg as well.
--
David W. Alderman	dave@persprog.com