Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 21:43:38 +0930
From:      Ian Moore <imoore@picknowl.com.au>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   kdm problems after upgrade

Hello,
I 'm looking for some help getting kdm to run again after an upgrade.
I have fbsd 4.3-release. I cvsupp'ed my ports tree a couple of weeks ago and
built kde-2.2 from the port. I built kde2base first with the --with-shadow \
line added to the makefile. It built & installed ok, but I'm having a few
problems. First one is with kdm. It used to work when I was using kde-1.1.2
and then still worked fine when I upgraded to 4.3 and installed kde-2.1.1
from the 4.3 cdroms.
On installing kde-2.2, I tried to run kdm, but it complained that Xsetup,
Xstartup and Xreset were missing and threw me back to kdm when I tried to
login. I hunted around on the mailing list archive and found suggertions for
Xstartup and Xreset and copied XSetup_0 to XSetup. These 3 files are in
usr/local/share/config/kdm/
That got rid of those errors, however if I login as root, kde runs ok, but I
get the errors:
kdm[523]: no modules loaded for `kde' service
kdm[536]: Session "/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsession" execution failed
(err 13)
and also
syslogd: /dev/:0: No such file or directory
If login as a normal user, the same errors appear and kde doesn't start, I
just get an xterm window. If I type exec startke into it, kde runs ok.
I can't figure out what is going on here.

Here are some of my config files:
/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsetup_0
#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:31 gildea Exp $
xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail
kdmdesktop

/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
#!/bin/sh
# $XConsortium: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 93/09/28 14:30:31 gildea Exp $
xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-30 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn helv -exitOnFail
kdmdesktop

/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xstartup
#!/bin/sh
sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
$USER

/usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xreset
#!/bin/sh
sessreg -d -w /var/log/wtmp -l $DISPLAY -x /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
$USER

-x I also tried /usr/local/share/config/kdm/Xservers in Xreset & Xstartup.
All the above have permissions 755

for both root & normal user, .xsession is:
#!/sbin/sh -xv
imwheel
#set default wm to kde
defaultwm=kde
echo $1
#set the window manager to $1 if it was supplied
windowmgr=${1:-$defaultwm}
echo $windowmgr

#start the respective window managers

case ${windowmgr} in
        kde|kwm|kdestart)
                WINDOWMANAGER=startkde
                ;;
        fvwm|fvwm2)
                WINDOWMANAGER=fvwm2
                ;;
        windowmaker)
                WINDOWMANAGER=wmaker
                ;;
        enlightenment)
                 WINDOWMANAGER=enlightenment
                 ;;
        blackbox)
                WINDOWMANAGER=blackbox
                ;;
        failsafe)
                WINDOWMANAGER=twm
                ;;

        *)    WINDOWMANAGER=twm   # default for unknown wm's

esac

echo  $WINDOWMANAGER
exec $WINDOWMANAGER

Cheers,