Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:34:14 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, "Duke Normandin" <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSDi Acquired by Embedded Computing Firm Wind River

But that _was_ my point.  Desktop systems are primariarly concerned
with data presentation, whether you do this in the OS or in an
application program is inconsequential, the main issue is that the
majority of the system's CPU is devoted to formatting the data so
that a human can more readily accept it.

Even in a large Unix installation where the majority of Unix workstations
are doing a lot of application code processing on the workstation,
the thrust of the workstation is to present data to the end user,
whereas the thrust of the server is to present data to the network.

I am myself somewhat unhappy with current use of the term "workstation"
Time was that an honest-to-God workstation was a Unix system running a
non-Intel CPU (usually) , but about 5 years
ago the Wintel marketing people grabbed onto the term and started
slapping it onto PC's running Windows NT.  People today seem to think
that a workstation is some sort of hopped-up desktop, but that's a
perversion of the meaning of the original term.