Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 15:02:04 -0500
From:      Joe Halpin <joe.halpin@attbi.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gettimeofday()

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=misc/34596
>
> Can anyone say something sensible about this?
>
> I do not have an older 4.x box to run the test against, so I would welcome
> any results.
>
> Of someone know from the top of their head that we mucked around deeply with
> it?

I tried it on my machine, the following from dmesg

Timecounter "i8254"  frequency 1193182 Hz
CPU: Pentium II/Pentium II Xeon/Celeron (300.68-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x651  Stepping = 1

Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR>
real memory  = 100663296 (98304K bytes)

One comment is that the test program needs to be compiled as a C++
program. I doubt that's significant, but ...

Here are my results

$ time ./a.out
delta: 5s 43662us
    5.06s real     0.64s user     4.40s system

I know the machines aren't really comparable, but since mine's about
million times slower than the submitter's machine and it ran in the
about the same time his did ...

I've got a spare partition, I'll try to load 4.2 and try it there as
well tonight.

joe