Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 13:07:41 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: The FreeBSD Installation Guide Project [Was: Re: FreeBSD Adovcacy]

Greg Lehey wrote:
> > I'm going to see to it that the IGP goes through to compile a
> > no-assumptions guide.  I've had a very long think about the Handbook
> > and incorporating the IGP with it and come to the conclusion that
> > while parts of the IGP probably could fit very well with the
> > Handbook, rewriting the Handbook is just not what I want to do.
>
> I find this sad.  You'd get a lot more help and cooperation if you'd
> do it in the existing framework.  If you go it alone, well, you go it
> alone.

The original object was to create a printed booklet that could be
included with the CD set, so folks wouldn't have to flip flop between
systems or screens to get through the install.  I just thought that
making something seperate from the Handbook, then incorporating it
later would be easier than writing a large set of patches.  Given that
there is almost no part of the Handbook that doesn't make assumptions
that would be a very large patchwork indeed.

If it's the only way I can get help, then I'm willing to redirect my
efforts to the Handbook.

> Despite what Bill says, I think you should be.  There are lots of
> different styles in the handbook; putting in the IGP would be an
> enrichment.  As I said earlier, that doesn't mean that it should not
> be possible to extract the IGP as a standalone document.

Why not do it the other way around?

> > I plan on soliciting for volunteers in -newbies.  I just want to have
> > some kind of a webpage up for them to read before waving the Uncle
> > Sam posters.
>
> It seems fashionable at the moment to believe that newbies can do
> things that experienced people can't, simply because they're closer to
> the problem.  I have yet to see a really successful document come out
> of this approach.  I've found it a lot easier to let experienced
> people write the documentation and have newbies review it to death.

The volunteers I was referring to are folks to do just that.  I know
I'm going to need experienced folks.

--
dpilgrim@uswest.net           /\  / __         Our lies are merely the
gryph@mindless.com           /  \/OC/URNE       truth of another world