Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:01:05 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disk based backup s/w

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 05:27:11PM +0200, Michael Grant wrote:
> I'm looking for something to backup my files to a spare disk.  But not
> just something like dump/restore that globs all the files into one
> large file (a virtual tape).  And not just a cpdup to the spare disk
> either.
>
> I'd like to find something that's a bit more intelligent, something
> which lets me easily get at older versions of files or restore an
> entire file system.  Something which doesn't store multiple copies of
> the same file and which uses compression and maybe even encryption.

Take a look at amanda "The Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk
Archiver" http://sourceforge.net/projects/amanda/ which does pretty
much everything you want.  It's in ports as misc/amanda-server and
misc/amanda-client.  Although it's primarily intended for backup to
tape, you can usually persuade tape backup systems to backup to disk
files instead.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK