Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:05:40 GMT
From:      "William O. Yates" <tinker@safemail.com>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-2.1 boot failure after install = ("F1 . . . BSD" looping)

>     William> I do not NEED nor WANT any form of Boot-Manager, and
>     William> I read the docs, and thought this would not install
>     William> any...
>
> If you've got a copy of MS-DOS 6.2 handy, you can zap the boot
> manager by running
>
>       FDISK.EXE /MBR
>
> So long as the FreeBSD slice is the only bootable slice on the
> disk, your system should just boot right up ... I hope.
>
> --
> Sean Kelly
> NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov
> Boulder Colorado USA                http://www-sdd.fsl.noaa.gov/~kelly/

        Well, thanks for the suggestion, but this "zap" only eliminates the
"F1 . . . BSD" prompt.  The disk now just goes into limbo (I waited 5
minutes).  Booting from the install floppy, and answering the "boot: "
prompt with "sd(0,a)/kernel" still works...

        Any other ideas?

- William O. Yates      __________  SafeMail, Inc. (Email/ISP)         -
- CEO/hacker at large  /  _    _  \ 3615 Jackson Oaks Court            -
- tinker@safemail.com  | | |  | | | Morgan Hill, CA U.S.A. 95037-6802  -
-  Tel: 408-778-5570   | |o|  |o| |  Fax: 408-778-5577                 -