Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 22:30:55 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Again: CRD-Raid-Controller and FreeBSD 3.x

> On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > <shameless plug>
> > You might want to consider using a PCI:SCSI RAID controller like a Mylex
> > DAC960 or AMI MegaRAID.  The host:cache bandwidth is _much_ better on
> > these units, and they typically offer all of the features of the external
> > units at a lower price.
> > </shameless plug>
>
>   Well, except for a couple of drawbacks:
>
> - You can't boot from AMI or Mylex controllers under FreeBSD 3.x yet.  The
> DPT PCI RAID card is only one that supports booting, but an external RAID
> box is easily twice as fast as an DPT card.

Actually, you can boot the Compaq Smart2 family controllers as well.  But
there are some major defects in the 3.x and older boot infrastructure
that make it a bit hard.  It wouldn't be too hard to write some new
bootblocks for these other controllers though, and I expect I'll do just
that.

> - No online configuration yet.  Each controller brand needs it own
> management app ported to FreeBSD.  An external card usually has a nice LCD
> display.  I can even hookup new drives and configure a new logical disk,
> or expand an existing logical disk with a couple of button presses (at
> least on Infortrend).

Actually, all the internal controllers (bar a couple of very old Mylex
units) have much nicer interfaces in their BIOS code.  I'll take a
fullscreen app over trying to build my spanned array with three
pushbuttons and a 40x2 LCD.  8)