Date:      Fri, 30 May 2003 13:25:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John DeStefano <deesto@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rotating motd

A trivial question, but a question nonetheless!  My FreeBSD /etc/motd is a static and rather boring file.  I recall that when I used to login to my Slackware machine, it spruced things up a bit by offering some sort of rotating motd, which would spit out a random quote or joke instead of the same ol' static message.  Is there a way to simulate this in FreeBSD?  Unfortunately, 'man motd' does little more than state the obvious, and describe a method by which to surpress the motd altogether.
This, of course, occurs to me as I ssh into my home machine from work!
Thanks,
~John