Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 21:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Teslik <alex@acatysmoof.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        alex@gouda.acatysmoof.com
Subject:   xdm, MX records, and segmentation faults after upgrade

Hello

  I actually have a couple of questions and thought I would kill a few birds with one stone here.

1) I upgraded to 4.2RELEASE from 3.2RELEASE a while ago and despite the very bumpy road everything has
been going smoothly for a few months now. However, every once in a while I'll go to run some
program and it will issue a segmentation fault core dump. I know a large majority of the system
was replaced from the buildworld except for a few of these apps (swat is an example), and whenever I
get this error I rebuild the app from the ports and everything works again. Its inconvenient, so I was
wondering if anyone could explain why this happens? The only error is a segmentation fault, so sorry, no output. :(

Is it a library issue, or just differences in the kernel?

2) In other news I got DNS working quite well and have been having a blast with virtual domains, etc.
However, everytime I try to send an email to anyone@mydomain.com I get an MX record error that the
server points back to itself. I don't have anothr machine to run just for a mail server, so I have no choice
but to point the MX record back to myself. I've read all the docs I could find, but havn't figured it out.
I modified sendmail.cw with the masquerading and my MX record doesn't issue any errors from named. ideas?

uname -a:
FreeBSD gouda.acatysmoof.com 4.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #0: Mon May 28 09:53:18 PDT 2001     root@gouda.acatysmoof.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/150PKERNEL4  i386

db.acatysmoof.com
acatysmoof.com. IN      SOA     gouda.acatysmoof.com. alex.acatysmoof.com. (
                2001052101      ; Serial (year,month,day,version_that_day)
                86400           ; refresh (1 day)
                7200            ; retry (2 hours)
                8640000         ; expire (100 days)
                86400 )         ; minimum (1 day)

; and now define what to do with mail - the 50 is a preference number.
; for example the secondary mail server could be 100, etc.
; If this RR is above the NS records than it will be MX for the domain.
                IN      MX      50 gouda.acatysmoof.com.
<snip>

3) xdm is one of the apps that crashes with a segmentation fault every time. It doesn't bother me that much
because I don't mind the shell and using startx, but it isn't "right". I cvsup'd ports and src to get to 4.2R,
and I can't find Xfree86 3.3.6 anywhere anymore, only XFree86 4.0.1. I want to rebuild xdm, but can't find it
alone anywhere. I'm not running gnome or kde (fvwm2 on X with some gtk libs), so gdm is not a possibility because
gnome base is too big. Where can I find xdm to rebuild it? Where did X 3.3.6 go?

4) completely unrelated to anything else, I tried to install realserver for FreeBSD 3.0 on my 4.2 box. The .bin file
wouldn't even extract. segmentation fault of course. Is anyone running realserver on their 4.2 boxes (not under linux
emulation, but native)?

I could ask a million more, but then it wouldn't be any fun :)

Thanks in advance,
Alex