Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 02:50:50 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        hymette@wanadoo.fr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem with ld-elf.so.1

On Friday 26 December 2003 02:23 am, hymette@wanadoo.fr wrote:
> You were right right from the start : it was gettext that I had
> portupgraded without the -u flag. Now that it's done and everything
> works fine I realize I could have found the answer by myself : it did
> not appear so simple before. Freebsd runs so well usually that you
> forget the little tricks between 2 upgrades. For me 2004 will begin
> with a clean system : many thanks and happy new year.

It is much easier after you have encountered the symptons and found the fix.
KDE has been erroring off with a message about ld-elf.so.1 can not find
libvorbisfile.so.3. If artsd doesn't start, you don't have knotify sounds. It
turns out that arts is dependant on libvorbis but doesn't have it as a
dependancy. A short time ago, libvorbis was updated and a -u didn't update
arts.

Happy new year,

Kent

--