Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:59:59 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Scott <gscott@asimware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 3200S

> I see that the release notes of FreeBSD 4.2 shows direct support of the
> Adaptec 3200S card.
>
> This is the card that replaced the DPT1564U (since Adaptec gobbled DPT).
> It was an i2o card. The 3200S is also supposed to be an i2o card.
>
> My understanding is that there was no i2o support in the FreeBSD 4.x
> series of releases yet and those of us with i2o cards have been running
> 3.2xxxxxxx from Simon Shapiro.
>
> Has this now changed, because I would very very much like to move up to
> the 4.x branch of releases for use with our 3200S.

Since the 3200S is listed as supported, it follows that there must be
support for it, right?

Actually, the DPT cards aren't "real" I2O cards at all.  They just use
the I2O interface as a transport for their own I/O protocol.  The 'asr'
driver supports these cards (and is maintained directly by Adaptec).