Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 01:13:06 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 132 Column mode on VGA Consoles

J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> stands accused of saying:

> With the advent of affordable graphics equipment, most people don't
> seem to be that much interested in working hard on the text console
> enhancement (although i know Søren's got some plans in mind), at least
> not enough to spend hundreds of hours there.

  I plan on implementing a layered console system that will allow the syscons
driver (or it's kin) to use VESA VBE text modes to display it's output. This
will mean that the 132x25, 132x30, 132x50, 132x60 and other modes like it will
be feasable.

  As soon as the vesa code goes in, there will be _three_ possible sources of
contention over the system console's device(s), the Xfree86 system, the VESA
library, and syscons itself. In order to rectify these contentions, I plan on
implementing a simple dual or possibly tri-layered console system that will
remove these contentions.

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."