Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 21:36:48 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Brandon Peyton" <varian@1bigred.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Install of 4.3

rebooting is a standard refuge for FreeBSD when it encounters a hardware
bug that it cannot deal with.  Such problems have been uncovered a number of
times in FreeBSD's history when it was changed for new versions.  For example,
there were complaints from some people that the 2.2X series of FreeBSD would
cause problems compiling the kernel, problems that didn't show up in older
2.1.X versions, these were most likely caused by the change of GCC to a newer
version that used code that triggered bugs in processor cache implementations.
There were another spatter of problems from people when the wd driver was
dropped in favor of the current ata driver.

The "spontaneous reboots" issue mentioned was triggered by allegedly changing
read to mmap code which while faster makes differnet use of hardware.  I've
seen a few other complaints in the forum of oddities that cropped up when
going into newer versions that are along these lines and are probably due to
the same reason.  Not every symptom is going to be the same.  Many times
hardware issues will cause the machine to freeze instead of rebooting.

>The issue is:  When I initially start the install and set my BIOS to
>CDROM,A,C then start up.  I press enter at the kernel boot mode then the
>second it starts the BSD install menu the whole PC locks up, it doesnt
>reboot, but a total lock(no lights no nothing).

OK, so this is happening before any copying is taking place, correct?

>I really doubt it is the CDROM itself being that i've run 4.0 on it for ages
>with no errors.  Now, my inital thought was the CDROM, but it works fine on
>the 4.0 install CD.  I've read throught the recent "Re: spontaneous reboots:
>how common in general?" mail and I do not think this is the same issue.
>
>Could it be that the particular ATAPI drivers are missing?  or the CD
>corrupt.

Have you attempted booting from FreeBSD floppies and running the sysinstall
menu from that, instead of booting from the CD?  That would be one way to see
if it's a problem in the atapi subsystem.