Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 17:13:56 +0200
From:      Ruben de Groot <fbsd-q@bzerk.org>
To:        Doug Poland <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        simond@irrelevant.org, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modifying a port for local use

On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 09:24:03AM -0500, Doug Poland typed:

> Simon Dick said:
> > On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 04:34:10PM -0500, Doug Poland wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I want to modify a port ( squirrelmail-1.2.7 ) for use on my system.
> >> The issue is where the port is installed.  The Makefile lets the ports
> >> system install into /usr/local.  However, I want it installed into
> >> /data/www.
> >>

> > The normal way to do it doesn't even require altering the makefile, just
> > try this:
> > cd /usr/ports/mail/squirrelmail
> > make PREFIX=/data/www
> > make PREFIX=/data/www install
> >
> > and that should be recorded into the pkg db once it's installed.
> > (it works, I create ports using that method so ask more if you still
> > have problems :)
> >
> Hi Simon,
>
> I tried your suggestion and it did install my port in the location
> specified by PREFIX.  However, it still creates the following directories
> in PREFIX { bin etc include info lib libdata libexec man sbin share} and
> pkg_delete is trying to delete files from /usr/local instead of PREFIX.
>
> Is the port system not designed to install outside /usr/local no matter
> how one slices it?

I was having similar problems trying to build the www/analog port with
PREFIX=/opt/analog. Turns out the dependencies (e.g. libtool, gmake) all
get installed under the same prefix, which is good, but the build doesn't
find them if you don't put /opt/analog/bin in your PATH.
After manually altering my PATH, the build continues, only to stop a
little further because it cant find the right include files (it's looking
in /usr/local/include and /usr/local/include/gd but it should be looking
in /opt/analog/include..
After some searching I found this in files/patch-aa:
+CFLAGS += -I${LOCALBASE}/include -I${LOCALBASE}/include/gd
+LIBS+=  -L${LOCALBASE}/lib -lgd -lpng -ljpeg -lz

Adding PREFIX to CFLAGS and LIBS finally made it possible to compile the port.
I think the ports system *is* designed to install outside /usr/local,
but there's a lot of undocumented (and untested) stuff out there.