Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 1995 09:57:01 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        julian@ref.tfs.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        chitra@CS.SunySB.EDU, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: help with timeouts

> > Hi!
> > I am developing a token bus protocol in the FreeBSD network
> > interrupt handler. For the
> > token recovery algorithm that I have, I need to set microsecond
> > timeouts (they could be off by upto 500 u_sec and still serve my purpose).
> > As things are now, I can only set timeouts in multiples of 10 millisec.
> > Can you please tell me how I can implement u_sec timeouts ?
> > Any help will be much appreciated.
>
> There is already code that 'turns up' the system clock frequency
> (I believe the pc-audio code to be exact) to (I think) 10KHz
> so you could do similar and get 100uSec time,

pcaudio runs at 16 KHz, I think. This means one interrupt every
62.5 uS; this is *not* something you want to run continuously on
your system:  the overhead is high, some interrupts are missed,
even on my 486/66, and you see you clock slowing down (due to the
missed interrupts).

	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522