Date:      Mon, 13 Mar 2000 05:18:30 +0000
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
To:        Rob Leonhardt <leonhard@quadro.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [probing ISA ethernet cards]

Hiya Rob,

> IS there anything special I can so to allow FreeBSD to detect my ISA
> ethernet card to be auto probed? if so what?

The FreeBSD install probes many ISA Ethernet boards by default. There
are two main problems.

1 - you need to ensure that the board you are using is one of those
supported - see <http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install-hw.html>;

2 - if your board _is_ supported, it needs to be at the 'default' that
FreeBSD expects it to be. If it isn't, you need to (while using the
install procedure) go into the 'Visual (Full Screen) Configuration' and
select the card in the 'Network Card' section (I think it's called) and
change the parameters there to what your card is actually set at.) e.g.
My DEC DE-203 is on IRQ 15 (5 is default) and IO 340H (300H is default).

Once you're past these two 'hurdles' you should be off and running.

If this is not enough information, then please feel free to add more
comments to this list. I'm nearly gone home for the day.

Regards,

Haxxa