Date:      Wed, 31 Jul 2002 12:01:50 -0600
From:      anu_subramanian@agilent.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   IPv6 questions

Hi,

I'm currently using FreeBSD 4.4. I have a few questions regarding IPV6:

1. scope id field in the sockaddr structure appears to be unused in rip6_bind - if the scope id(interface index in the case of link local addresses) is embedded in the IP address, then the bind is successful(even if the scope id field is 0), if  the scope id is just specified in its field, then the bind is unsuccessful. Looking through the code, I found that the bind for UDP appears to embed the scope in the IP address, but rip6_bind does not do that. Can some one explain this to me?

2. For v4 mapped v6 packets, multicast does not seem to be supported completely - for example, to join a multicast group, it looks like I have to open a v4 socket. Am I completely mistaken or if I'm right, can someone tell me why multicast is not supported for v4 mapped v6 addresses?

Thanks very much,
Anu.

Anu Subramanian
Software Engineer