Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:56:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Joey Garcia <bsd_usr@yahoo.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org

Hello all!

I had been appointed to write the new operating
procedures for the MIS department when it comes down
to purchasing and computer maintenance.  At first it
seemed like an easy task, but now after some thought
I'm not sure where to begin.

I had come up with some procedural topics, but I was
wondering if anyone of you had to do something like
this that can sort of guide me in the right steps.  It
seems as though I have to pretty much trace all the
steps taken to get things done and pretty much
document them.  Sounded easy, but the hard part is
probably the word play to make things easy to
understand since this is mostly goint to be read by
managers and the general users.  They basically need
an understanding on how MIS functions because they
assume so many weird things.

For some reason they (users) must think that we sit
here doing nothing waiting for them (users) to call
upon us to be their troubleshooting slave.  Go figure!

I thought this might be an intersting topic for
discussion as far as System Administration procedures
are concerned so I'm posting this to both chat and
questions (just in case some readers don't subscribe
to the same lists).  If this was an error in my part,
I apologize.

Some of the procedural topics that I came up with are:

Purchasing Procedures - getting approval, etc.
Maintenance Procedures - calling out for maintenance
Upgrades Procedures - hardware and software upgrades
and others yet to come...

I'm wondering what other companies do for such
situations.  I know everyone operates differently, but
some ideas could be usefull.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers,

Joey