Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2001 23:17:58 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Orville R. Weyrich.Jr" <orville@weyrich.com>
Cc:        Olivier Cherrier <Olivier.Cherrier@cediti.be>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Actual firewall

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 09:49:03AM -0700, Orville R. Weyrich.Jr wrote:

> If the previously open-licensed source code has developed a more
> restrictive license, that does not prevent free use of the old source
> code, does it?  Rather than throwing the whole thing out, would not the
> proper response be to throw out only the more restrictive source code and
> find a new programmer to maintian the code base who is more "open"?

Oh, please do not start this all over again.

The archives show that this topic has been hashed to death.
Darren and the FreeBSD core have said their last word, I think.

Yes, what you are describing can be done, but there is really no need
for anyone to do it.  After all, Darren does several of the commits to
the source.  From my local CVS mirror I can see that there are the
following modules related to ipfilter:

    % cvs -R -q checkout -c | grep ipf
    contrib_ipfilter src/contrib/ipfilter
    ipf          src/sbin/ipf
    ipfm         ports/net/ipfm
    ipfmeta      ports/security/ipfmeta
    ipfstat      src/usr.sbin/ipfstat
    ipftest      src/usr.sbin/ipftest
    ipfw         src/sbin/ipfw
    kld_ipfilter src/sys/modules/ipfilter
    kld_ipfw     src/sys/modules/ipfw
    lkm_ipfw     src/lkm/ipfw

So, well, I checked out a copy of the sources, to see how many of
those commits are actually done by Darren himself.

    % cvs -R -q checkout contrib_ipfilter ipf ipfstat ipftest kld_ipfilter

And counted the CVS commits:

    % cvs -R -q log | grep '^date' | wc -l
        1816

Now lets's see how many of those commits are Darren's.

    % cvs -R -q log | grep '^date' | grep darrenr | wc -l
        1026

Well, this is a rough estimation of what Darren has been doing on
FreeBSD's version of ipfilter, but I think you got the idea.

-giorgos