Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:20:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        Mark Ovens <markov@globalnet.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: prompts

This works great in csh. There is one little quirk: when I cd to /home
(which is a link to /usr/home) it prints /usr/home and to go down to / I
have to issue cd ..  twice. In zsh it prints /home and I only have to cd
.. once. Can this be fixed? Once again, its not a big deal though, just
curious.
	But the alias for cd you gave me does not work under sh. And also,
the character # for superuser and $ or % for user... how does the shell
change this? In zsh I think /# sets # for superuser and % for user.  How
can I set the prompt up so that if I'm a superuser it
uses # and if I'm a user it uses $ under sh and csh. Do I just use "#"? I
tried doing
PS1="`pwd`# "
in sh but it printed # for the regular users.