Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:07:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        Thor Legvold <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Networking questions

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Thor Legvold wrote:

> While trying to debug my VPN connection, I've come to the conclusion that my
> networking knowledge is severely outdated and lacking in several areas
> (which is fine, I like learning new stuff). I worked with SunOS, AIX and
> NextStep about 10 years ago, did SLIP, but need info especially when it
> come's to a lot of the "new" things (tunneling, pptp), but also in regards
> to some of the old that I never really got involved in (nat, firewalls).
>
> I wonder if anyone knows some good links to get a basic overview of
> networking concepts and practices.  I know what TCP/IP, UDP and such are and
> how they work in general, the OSI model etc etc, but I'm thinking of things
> like: where does a VPN tunnel fit in a normal network setup - is it
> parallell to the existing network(s), do exisiting hosts use aliases (so
> each has a regular LAN IP and a VPN IP on the same interface) or what? Does
> natd function on the outside, inside or from within a firewall? In a
> gatewayed system, where do virtual adapters (tunnels and pptp/ppp) end up
> relative to the existing internal LAN and external Internet/WAN? Trying to
> get all of this in a clear conceptual framework in my head so I know where
> to look to debug this problem I'm having with mpd-netgraph, and to better
> understand my own network setup both now and in the future.
>
> My ISP turns off the NAT system for good tomorrow and allows only VPN
> connections from then on (which I still haven't gotten to work), so it might
> be a while before I'm able to reply to any messages, but I should manage to
> be able to read responses from somewhere.
>
> Regards,

Hi Thor,

OK, if you like reading, lots of good basic and technical vpn stuff here
to get you started:

http://kubarb.phsx.ukans.edu/~tbird/vpn/vpn-general.html

There's a tutorial on setting up a vpn over a ppp link on FreeBSD here:

http://unix.za.net/gateway/documentation/networking/vpn/fbsd.html

Another tutorial here, scarce but with excellent links:

http://freebsd.cg.nu/ipsec.html

HTH,

Dru