Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2010 03:37:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@cs.niu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "glabel label" questions

     My system currently has three external disk drives connected via USB 2.0
ports and will soon have another drive connected via a Firewire port.  The
three already present have quite a few partitions on them, nearly all of which
already contain file systems with lots of files in them.  I would like to use
the "glabel label" method of labeling each of these partitions, so that I do
not always have to disconnect all but one external drive when rebooting the
system and then reconnect them one by one in order to get the proper device
files assigned to them for use with /etc/fstab entries.
     However, some of these partitions contain GELI-encrypted file systems.
Can the "glabel label" sort of labeling be used with encrypted partitions?
If so, can "glabel label" be used on the encrypted partitions without
destroying the file systems or the data in them?  Or will I need to recreate
the file systems after labeling the partitions and then restore their contents
from backups?  Is there any danger to unencrypted partitions and data when
using the "glabel label" operation?
     Thanks in advance for any help with this matter.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG