Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 09:57:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas Winningham <twinningham@gwis.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        usb-bsd@eleetbsd.org
Subject:   USB Ethernet and unconfigurable PNP bios

I would not like to abandon FreeBSD, but I cannot find any concrete
information that would help me bring up an SMC 10/100 USB Ethernet
device. To summarize my problem:

When UHCI comes up, it says "Couldn't map ports" ... the USB controller
has an IRQ of 0.

http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/FAQ.pl#BootProblemsMapping -->
"Some machines however do not have these switches at all in the BIOS and
still the BIOS does not set up the USB host controller properly. You will
note that the boot messages during a verbose boot (type 'set boot_verbose'
at the loader prompt, at the 'ok') indicate that the irq is set to 255,
which is invalid. We hope to solve this problem at some later stage (after
4.0-RELEASE is out) by doing the PCI en PnP enumeration in FreeBSD, making
it a 'PnP OS'. "

I was wondering, since we're at 4.4 even, is their some way I can set the
USB controller's IRQ and what-not at the OS level, since I have no way of
shutting of my bios' pnp settings?

Thomas Winningham
twinningham@gwis.com