Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 2015 19:51:45 -0700
From:      Ross Penner <rossp@f-m.fm>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd-update process clarification

I'm currently running 10.0 and I wanted to update to 10.1 using
freebsd-update. I've been following the guide on
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/updating-upgrading-freebsdupdate.html

I have a custom kernel and I don't seem to have anything at
/boot/GENERIC
# ls /boot/GENERIC
ls: /boot/GENERIC: No such file or directory

 so I followed the instructions when running 9.x and above and ran:
# cd /usr/src
# make kernel __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null SRCCONF=/dev/null

This seem to create and install the GENERIC kernel as advertised, but
there still isn't anything in /boot/GENERIC
# ls /boot/GENERIC
ls: /boot/GENERIC: No such file or directory

I then ran:
# freebsd-update -r 10.1-RELEASE upgrade
# freebsd-update install
# nextboot -k GENERIC
Error: /boot/GENERIC doesn't exist. Use -f to override.

The handbook indicates that it's pretty important to have GENERIC there
before I reboot and finish the update.

Is there something I missed? Can somebody help with this?

Thanks