Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:12:53 -0500
From:      Jud <judmarc@fastmail.fm>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <philip@p6m7g8.com>, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Boot Loaders

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 04:30:56 +0000, Philip M. Gollucci <philip@p6m7g8.com>
wrote:

> Anyone here hand any experience with this?
>
> http://search.yahoo.com/bin/search?p=Acronis+OS+Selector+8.0
>
> Acronis OS Selector
>
> I wonder if you still need multiple disk drives.  As far as I know the
> physical geomoetry of hard drives is altered to give you 4 fdisk
> sections if winblows is on it anywhere instead of 16.  Linux takes 2.
>
> I would like to install all of the following if possible.
>
> Win95,Win98,Win2k Pro,Win2k Server,WinXP
> Redhat 6.3, 7.3, 8.0
> FreeBSD 2.2.8, 3.x, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x (eventually)
> NetBSD-current
> OpenBSD-current
> Darwin-current
> FreeDOS

I haven't tried Acronis.  I have tried and am currently using another
shareware product that does the same thing, is less than 1mb, and whose 30-
day free trial is *not* feature-limited, called BootItNG (
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com ).  BING will let you put an unlimited
number of "primary" partitions on a disk.  The reason I'm using BootItNG
rather than Grub, which is freeware and a FreeBSD port, is because I have
two of my boot sectors (W2K and FBSD 4-STABLE) on a RAID-0 array, which
Grub doesn't quite grok yet AFAIK.  I have never used the freeware boot
loader XOSL, but have heard some nice things about it - some teenager was
on TechTV the other month showing off the 30-odd OSs on his machine that he
boots with XOSL.

If you do try Acronis and/or XOSL, particularly if you also try bootloaders
I'm familiar with, such as Grub and BootItNG, I'd be interested to know
what your experiences were.

--
Jud