Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 06:28:46 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Brian Minard <bminard@flatfoot.ca>
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade / pkgdb question

On 17 May 2002, at 8:38, Brian Minard boldly uttered:

> On May 16, 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
>  > My understanding is that "origin" is the path to the port in the
>  > ports directory - ie if the port is /usr/ports/editors/joe, the
>  > origin is "editors/joe".
>  >

> That's my understanding of how it works.
>
>  > But there is no interactive search or anything to help find the
>  > correct path to input to correct this problem when running "pkgdb -
>  > F", so does this mean that I have to sit down, manually find and make
>  > a list of all the modern equivalents/locations of all 200 installed
>  > packages, then manually type in each path for each old package during
>  > "pkgdb -F" before I can effectively use portupgrade?
>  >

> Try portsdb -Uu.  The recommendation is that you run this command
> after you update your ports collection.  I run this command after each
> cvsup of the ports collection I perform.

Thanks.  However I did that prior to reporting this problem.

It appears that ports or packages created back in the 4.1 days aren't
aware of "origin", so you have to 'correct' all of them. (very
tedious without some form of prompting when running pkgdb -F, IMHO..
especially when you have 200+ packages/ports installed)

What is equally strange to me is why I can't seem to use
pkg_deinstall to remove groups of packages by wildcard (see original
post) I figured since a bunch were not in use I'd just delete 'em and
re-install the ones I needed.

(On a side note I'm amazed that the handbook and/or "Complete
FreeBSD" suggests for people who want a lot of stuff that they can
"install ALL the ports".. yeegods, from my limited experience from
various things that stick startup scripts into /etc and so forth,
that must be a total nightmare..)

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium