Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 13:19:16 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Trent Waddington <s337240@student.uq.edu.au>, David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stallman stalls again

Moved to -chat

Dag-Erling Smorgrav said on Mar  1, 2001 at 19:57:46:
> Trent Waddington <s337240@student.uq.edu.au> writes:
> > I say it is worse than that.  He doesn't even know what he is embracing.
>
> I think he does. Judging from his prose and my email exchanges with
> him, he's the most deliberate person I know of - almost compulsively,
> pathologically so. I haven't yet found any topic about which he does
> not care enough to have an opinion.

The guy has extreme views.  But I've begun realising only lately (in
the last 2 years, say) how far to the opposite extreme the rest of the
world is going -- ridiculous excesses of content protection and the
like.  When I first read his "right to read" story it looked like some
doomsday scenario, but now some real-life news item along those lines
seems to appear every week.  This is something that definitely worries
me, and I'm quite happy that RMS exists because his extreme position
looks infinitely preferable to the direction the corporates are taking
us.  Moreover, if these mega-content-providers (the RIAA, MPAA, you
name it) seek to tie down all content, including books and journals,
the way they're currently tying down DVDS and such things, I think the
only future for our culture will eventually lie in a sizeable group of
people breaking away from such a system and releasing creative
material under open content licenses.  Even that is made difficult if
the big industries, who monopolise production of storage devices,
force you to use some absurd copy protection restrictions on every
device they produce.  Day by day, all this does look more and more
likely to happen.

I admit, though, that RMS would make a better advocate of the causes
he espouses if he were a bit more balanced, like Lawrence Lessig for
example.