Date:      Sat, 3 Dec 2005 19:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      David LeCount <snailboy1@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Having much trouble with wep on wireless

I give in. I've been working for hours on this without
resolution. I just bought a wireless router and I'm
trying to get wep working. I'm pretty sure it's
working on the router side. I'm having trouble setting
the key in FreeBSD. The man page says to use wepkey to
set it, but that's been giving errors. When I just do
"ifconfig ath0", I notice there's a deftxkey, so I've
been using that to try to set the key. The problem is
that when I use it, it still says it's undefined
despite no errors. Here's an example:

kenshi# ifconfig ath0 wepmode on deftxkey 0x0123456789
kenshi# ifconfig ath0
ath0:
flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu
1500
        inet6 fe80::213:46ff:fe6e:def9%ath0 prefixlen
64 scopeid 0x1
        ether 00:13:46:6e:de:f9
        media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet
autoselect (OFDM/36Mbps)
        status: associated
        ssid bahamut channel 6 bssid 00:14:bf:b4:c3:e8
        authmode OPEN privacy ON deftxkey UNDEF
txpowmax 36 protmode CTS
        bintval 100

Since it says privacy is on, I believe that means
wepmode was set, but I can't set the key for anything.
By the way, if I run ifconfig with all the parameters,
including the IP address, it says:

ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists

This has me completely baffled. I thought I got it
working once, but when I set it in rc.conf and
restarted, it no longer worked and I haven't managed
to get it working again. I appreciate any help.