Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:53:46 -0700
From:      Nicholas Jackson <m8905186@ncafe.com>
To:        Rob <stopspam@users.sourceforge.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using scanner with FreeBSD. A nightmare! = (VIA USB problem?)

Rob,

  Does your motherboard use a VIA chip for its USB?

 From what I have heard, many VIA USB implementations from a few years
ago were very buggy, particularly with scanners. I have an old Asus A7V
motherboard that works fine with a USB keyboard and mouse through a KVM
(I'm using it now) but on Windows at least, a few years ago, I was
unable to get any of several scanners to work. It would crap out exactly
as you are describing.

After much hand-wrangling I finally figured out that the motherboard's
USB implementation was funky, and an el-cheapo add-in USB card quickly
solved the problem. Evidently this problem was *quite* common on older
hardware that used these VIA all-in-one IO chips...

You might also want to try a BIOS upgrade.

Don't blame it on FreeBSD unless you are sure that the hardware is not
at fault. And this particular fault might be one that doesnt show up
frequently with other applications. Scanners are pretty demanding on the
USB bus...

Nicholas