Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:42:11 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Steven Enderle <enderle@mdn.de>
Cc:        freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/29562: hier(7) still not very helpfull/exact

Steven Enderle <enderle@mdn.de> writes:
> >Synopsis:       hier(7) still not very helpfull/exact

This stems from the fact that the filesystem layout usually reflects
the personal preferences of the admin who touches it first.  I suppose
some companies with a lot of systems may have some standard, but it
really isn't the goal of the FreeBSD Project to dictate where you must
put your data.

> 2) it is unclear to me where to store special application data of my
>    servers.
>    in freebsd, it seems to be *scattered* around in the filesystem.
>    ---
>    examples: commonly i would guess to store, as the manpage states,
>    "multi-purpose log, temporary, _transient_, and spool files" in /var.
>    Although there is /usr/ports (which changes often in my point of
>    view), /usr/obj and /usr/src, which seem to be very dynamic also.
>    ok, someone could say its static if you don't cvsup it, but i
>    think it is thought to do so. Not to talk about (some) installed
>    ports (say, apache, samba, postgresql), which all save highly
>    changing data under /usr/local.

Sources are ports aren't transient files.  They may change often, but
they aren't transient because they remain there for a long time,
regardless of how often they change.  One of the definitions of
transient is "enduring [for] a very short time", and clearly you don't
expect to remove ports and src on a daily basis.

Things like logs, or other stuff in /var[/run], on the other hand,
come and go at will.  For example, starting inetd(8) will create
/var/run/inetd.pid; stopping it will remove that file.  Log files have
similar, albeit on a smaller scale, properties.

>    But to get at the point: Where should i save my special application
>    data, such as big samba shares, data of custom applications, etc?
>    Should i put it in /var/myapp, or simply in /myapp? /usr/myapp
>    would also come into question ..... or /home/myapp which i see some-
>    times also.

Short answer: it's up to you.  I've seen all of those used
successfully.

> Is there a standart defined?

No, there is no standard, and any attempt at one will fail.  Each
administrator has his or her own preference on the filesystem layout.

>    I think thats not as much as a *bug* as a problem between keyboard and
>    chair on my side, but i guess it would be helpfull to some people to
>    state something like 'thats the place where your data fits in' in
>    the hier(7) manpage.

This isn't the point of hier(7).  It's supposed to tell you where you
can find certain things that are installed with FreeBSD.  Anything you
install or make yourself probably won't fit into that scheme.

> I am waiting for your comments

The PR database really isn't the place for such questions.  There is a
mailing list, questions@freebsd.org [cc'd], with people willing to
answer them.  You should only file a PR if you've found something
that's obviously a bug.  The hier(7) manual page is supposed to be a
guide to where FreeBSD installs things, and I think it's doing a good
job.