Date:      Sun, 13 Jan 2013 07:50:14 -0700
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fast sigblock (AKA rtld speedup)

On Sat, 2013-01-12 at 15:04 -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> David Xu wrote this message on Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 13:09 +0800:
> > and can not be freed until process is exited, the page is doubly
> > mapped into in kernel and userland, accessing the shared data
> > in kernel has zero overhead though.
>
> Don't forget that there are arches out there w/ VIVT caches which will
> probably eliminate most of the performance benifits if we have the same
> page mapped writable in two different virtual addresses..

Even worse than eliminate the benefits, since multiple mappings with one
writable disables caching on the whole page, there can be a big penalty
depending on what other data is nearby that suddenly becomes
uncacheable.  I was initially very interested in the work to read system
clocks without a syscall until I realized it was going to suffer from
the same problem.

-- Ian